Thursday, September 30, 2010

"Summer Was Over *Last* Week, Honey"

If you've been following along here, you know that my genkan turns into a zoo come summer, and also that my oldest will pick up virtually *any* bug, amphibian, reptile, or crustacean and let it crawl all over him. 

However, this past summer was so hot, all the fish died (papa performed burial rites).  The Kabutomushi have all gone to that great jelly-cup in the sky, and my genkan is clean.  Shoes put away, counter wiped and *visible*, and no bug boxes.    If it weren't midnight, I'd take a picture and post it. 


You know where I'm going with this.  Exactly--I looked out the window today to see him awkwardly trying to carry two bug boxes home from school.  His teacher must have lent him the boxes, I think, since he certainly didn't take any with him to school in the morning.  Teachers in Japan do that sort of thing.

  Since bugs freak Aun' Bef' out, here's a nice big photo of what he brought home:



I know that photo overruns the sidebar, but it's for a good cause:))  Be sure to click on that, so's to see our Kamakiri (preying mantis) in all her glory.  I think she's mugging for the camera, don't you?  I'd post the video I took of it crawling all over his arm, but you probably don't want to see closeups of my husband's underwear...



The other box had a lone male cricket--no spouse yet, which means he won't sing for us.  Tomorrow's homework for Koshi:  go catch some female crickets!  If I have to have crickets in the house, they can at least be singing.


Mata asobou, ne!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I forgot that the only bugs I like outside of pretty beetles and ladybugs are: preying mantises and walking sticks and leaf bugs. I think it is because they all move soooooo slooooow. I know I can outrun the little buggers. ;-P

    PS, email me in the morning and tell me how to do that ratings bar-- I can't figure it out...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely mugging for the camera. You should train her up for cheap sf/horror movies.

    Ann, the list of bugs you like seems as if it would be longer than the one of bugs you don't...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daz... ooh, I don't know, ants, spiders, cockroaches, flying bugs of any kind (particularly if they sting)... any bugs in a swarm (even ladybugs) make me shiver. Can't even look at pictures of them.... or think about them too much...>>>>shudder<<<<<

    Someday I ought to sit down and figure out the exact combination of bug traits that creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except that would require thinking about them, gah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even ladybirds? Wow! That's kinda weird...

    I'm guessing Starship Troopers isn't your favourite film then? Not that it should be *anyone's* favourite film, mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. Swarms=Evil. If I believed in reincarnation, I would claim to have been killed by a swarm of bugs the last time around

    And Amy, show mercy on your little sis and don't tell the boys about Auntie's terror over bugs... what boy could resist *that* temptation? ;-P

    Portland is also having the Worst Bug Year Ever, and I can't tell you how many times the door has been sealed shut by spiders >>>>shudder<<<< They're after me....

    ReplyDelete
  7. You *like* preying mantises?! Rats! And I made that photo extra-large just for you:)) I really do have close-up video of Koshi with it crawling all over his arm, but when I watched it I noticed that Papa was standing right behind him in his skivvies....and I didn't think my Dear Husband would want the *entire* internet to know whether he wears briefs or boxers (because, of course, everyone would come *just* to look at his undies--I know I would).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @daz--a horror/sf film!! My sis and I *did* try to make a horror film in high school--with dad's enormous mutant stapler and fake blood (ketchup, corn syrup, and molasses:)). Kind of a teen slasher flick with the huge stapler as the terrifying weapon... Had we but thought to catch preying mantises! The effect would have been *so* much sillier:))

    @ann--You didn't freak? Inconceivable!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I'd forgotten all about our intentions to take over the comedy/horror genre with our stapler of death movie!!

    Maybe we need to take up our old ambitions, get dad's stapler, and come up with a plot involving a stapler-wielding preying mantis...

    and Ha! Preying Mantises don't make me freak, I mean it--anybody want a peanut?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mind-blank. Can't think of reply. Many chuckles though!

    ReplyDelete