Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday Field Notes

Welcome to Friday Field Notes!

I'm the sort of person who cannot go anywhere without looking at birds, flowers, moss growing out of cracks, stray kitties, planted fields, clouds, cows.

In other words, if you value your life, you'll choose not to be a passenger in any car that I am driving.  Fortunately for all of us, I live here in Japan with no car.  Just a bike and my feet.  I haven't crashed my bike very many times.  Yet.  Today, though, I did have the presence of mind to finally take the new video camera with the good zoom along while walking the kids to school.  Since there's always something blooming, or growing, or walking in the river, I thought I'd share my field notes:))  I'll just be honest--this is really for my mom, but I figured others might be interested, too.  Mom--we'll just take a virtual walk, ok?  If you were here, I'd show you every flower, vegetable, and bird I see, you know I would:))

For the first one, I thought I'd share my lucky bird.  At least, that's what I've called the Kosagi (Little Egret) from the first time I saw one plucking its way through Fujisawa River.  Pristinely white with starkly contrasting black bill and legs, and the goofiest bright yellow feet when he lifts his feet up out of the water.  I'd never seen an egret in the states, so the first time I saw one here made me feel like the luckiest person alive.  In our little river here on the way up to school, I see one nearly every day.  Still makes me feel lucky.

Next time, I'll try to get a shot of those goofy feet...:))






Update:
Goofy feet!  Got them today:)

Those crazy feet make me smile every time I see them.  The effect is even goofier when he's walking...

2 comments:

  1. Those FEET!! They're like prosthetics! Or maybe like they were dipped in yellow 'tool dip'. You know, that plastic-y stuff on tool handles that you can buy as liquid in a jar and then re-dip handles when they wear out? Yah, feet dipped in tool dip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Feet dipped in tool dip!"

    That's *totally* what they look like! It's so suprising when those feet come up out of the water. It's all smooth, graceful, elegant, and...yellow feet? If you click on the photo you can see it larger:))

    I got the Kawasemi (the little kingfisher) the other day--but only one shot. He kept flying away:(( I chased him all the way down the river to the school, too. He just would *not* sit still! So, I'm still stalking him....

    ReplyDelete